If you are looking to supercharge your wash day, you’ve got a variety of ingredients in your pantry or medicine cabinet that can make your wash day even better. Here are some of our favorite ingredients to boost your wash day experience.
For softness and to enhance your hair’s ability to hold styles such as twist outs and rod sets, try adding a carrier oil to your conditioner. Your hair will be more responsive to styling and will achieve enhanced softness.
– Fractionated Coconut Oil – This mixes easily and plays nice with conditioners.
– Olive oil – This oil is heavier than FCO. Less is more.
– Bananas: They are rich in potassium so they are great for strengthening hair. Bananas also minimize breakage by restoring your hair’s natural elasticity, and facilitates repair of damaged hair.
For scalp issues, a few drops of the right essential oils added to your conditioning routine can do a world of good.
– Tea tree oil – This oil calms inflammation.
– Rosemary oil – This oil aids in hair growth and can help with thinning hair issues.
– Lavender oil – In addition to smelling divine, this oil aids in healing damaged skin.
– Peppermint oil – If your scalp is irritated or inflamed, this oil will soothe and calm with a cooling effect.
For extra moisture retention:
– Honey – It’s a bit messy and is a challenge to mix into conditioner thoroughly, but it’s fantastic at helping hair retain moisture.
– Glycerine – Use sparingly – add it to your leave in conditioning spray
– Aloe vera gel – Add this to your conditioner for an extra boost of moisture.
For a protein boost:
– Eggs – They contain protein and lecithin that enhance softness and strengthen hair to prevent against breakage.
– Yogurt – Leaves hair feeling soft and increases shine. It contains zinc and lactic acid, which promote hair growth.
What are your favorite ingredients to boost your hair care routine? Leave suggestions in the comments!